Community rushes to aid family of seven whose house caught fire Tuesday

By  | 

SHERMAN, TX -- The local community is coming together to help a Denison family who awoke on Christmas Eve to find their house on fire.

The family of seven - including four small children - made it out safely, Asst. Fire Chief Bill Ray said. But now they're displaced from their home the day before Christmas.

Brina Dutton saw the story News 12 reported Tuesday morning and immediately took to Facebook to raise donations for the family.

"We wanted to try to do whatever we could to have something for those kids to open tomorrow for Christmas," she said.

Dutton called the family and asked them what they needed.

"I know it's last minute, but I wanted to see what we could do as a community to pull together and help them out," she said.

Dutton started collecting donations at her Sherman store, the Posh Little Pig. And by late morning donations of toys, clothes, toiletries and cash were flowing in.

They plan to bring the family what donations they have - especially toys - by Tuesday night.

"And we are gonna use our gift wrapping supplies here to wrap gifts for the children, so they have something to open tomorrow," she said.

Brooke Bond said she was moved when she found out about the drive and stopped in to donate to help out a family in need.

"I know it's a hard time. And I know people do care. Even in a crazy world there are still a lot of folks out there who love and support, and that's what makes this area such a great area," she said.

Dutton said they'll deliver what they've collected Tuesday night. But they'll continue to collect items like toiletries and clothing for the family throughout the next few days.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus