Driver arrested for murder in fatal crash; Family and friends react

By  | 

DENISON, TX -- It's been one week since a car drove into the living room of a Denison duplex, killing a woman and her unborn child. Today, the driver of the car was arrested.

In the complaint filed by Denison police, they believe Richard Allen Taylor Jr.'s actions were "clearly dangerous to human life" and that by failing to control his speed and vehicle, he caused Jennifer Comstock's death.

Richard Allen Taylor Jr., shown here in a prior mug shot, was arrested for murder. Police say one week ago Taylor crashed his car into 28-year-old Jennifer Comstock's living room, killing her and her unborn child.

"Every body was confused about why he wasn't in jail immediately after the accident," Kassie Daniel said.

Comstock's best friend, Kassie Daniel, says the arrest is a step in the right direction.

"We were all happy that he was taken in so that justice will be served for Jennifer," Daniel said.

Before slamming into Comstock's home, an affidavit states Taylor told police he hit an SUV several times, locking bumpers. Taylor told police he "was unable to gain control of his vehicle for the next four blocks..." and that he then "blacked out".

We spoke to Taylor's mother off-camera who blames the crash on a medical condition, caused by a previous stroke. But witness' statements say Taylor was coherent. You can see Taylor sitting on the ground at the scene, Thursday night.

Witnesses told police after the crash Taylor immediately got out of the car and sat down in the front yard. They say Taylor told them "not to break the back window of his car" while they were trying to help victims inside the home.

Police say they're still investigating.

"We haven't closed it yet. We're still doing some investigating on some things. It's still ongoing at this point. And that's part of the reason of course that it takes a little longer sometime on these investigations, because you want to make sure you have sufficient evidence to support your charge," Lt. Eppler said.

Another unnamed victim was hospitalized for several days, but has been released.

Daniel says it's still unreal that she has lost her best friend.

"Jennifer was a very nice person. She was a friend to everyone and every one loved her. It's still not real," she said.

Taylor is being held on $500,000 bond in the Grayson County Jail. If convicted, he could be sentenced up to 99 years in prison and a fine up to $10,000.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus