FORT HOOD, Texas (AP) - A military judge has refused a three-month trial delay for the Army psychiatrist charged in the deadly 2009 Fort Hood shooting rampage.
Maj. Nidal Hasan made the request after the judge allowed him to represent himself at the court-martial. Hasan said he needed more time to prepare for his defense strategy.
Last week the judge barred Hasan from telling jurors that he shot U.S. troops because they posed an immediate threat to Taliban leaders in Afghanistan.
On Tuesday, Hasan told the judge that he no longer needed more time to prepare.
Col. Tara Osborn, the judge, is expected to set a trial date later Tuesday.
Hasan faces the death penalty or life in prison without parole if convicted in the attack that left 13 dead on the Texas Army post.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.