SHERMAN, TX-An accidental kitchen fire caused thousands of dollars in damage to a Sherman home.
The fire happened on the 1600 block of Creekside Avenue Thursday afternoon.
Sherman fire marshal, Jamie Baggs, said a man left the stove on when he went outside. Minutes later, flames spread through the kitchen. Baggs said firefighters put out the flames within minutes. But the kitchen was a total loss, with smoke and water damage throughout the house.
The damage is estimated to be $40,000.
"People just need to be aware that when they have something on the stove. Try not to be preoccupied with other events," Baggs said.
He said the damage could've been worse if it wasn't for working smoke detectors in the home.
No one was hurt in that fire.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.