BROMIDE, OK -- A Bromide family, forced to evacuate their home after it caught fire this morning, says they don't know what they'll do now.
"Heartbroken. Heartbroken. I ain't got a place to go," says homeowner, Carlton "Gene" Lowe.
Just before 11:30 Thursday morning, firefighters responded to a house fire just off Bromide Road.
Bromide Fire Chief, Floyd Ross, says the fire started due to an electrical short in one of the bedrooms.
"Caught the back of a dresser on fire then burnt the dresser and went up the wall into the ceiling, but we kept it contained to the bedroom," Ross said.
Ross says no one was home when the fire started, but one of the family's dogs died.
Lowe says he was out at a doctor's appointment when someone called him about the fire.
Now, he's not sure what will happen to his home.
"I don't know. I don't know what we'll do. Try to find a place to live I guess...we'll go to my dad's I guess," Lowe said.
Lowe says they did not have insurance on the home and lost his bed, clothes, and other basic necessities.
Ross says the house is not a total loss, but estimates about $15,000-$20,000 in smoke damage.
And one of Ross' firefighters was sent to the hospital because of it.
"I had one fireman who suffered smoke inhalation...and we had to send him by ambulance to Tishomingo. He got a little dizzy," said Ross.
Ross says if anyone would like to make donations, they can drop them off at the Volunteer Fire Department or contact Ross at City Hall.