Former Okla. Marine convicted of child sexual abuse

By: From Wire Reports
By: From Wire Reports

DUNCAN, Okla. (AP) - A Stephens County judge has scheduled a June 5 formal sentencing for an ex-Marine who was convicted of child sexual abuse.

A jury deliberated more than three hours before finding Charles Dyer guilty on Thursday and recommending a 30-year prison term. Dyer's attorney, Al Hoch, didn't immediately return a message left for comment on Sunday.

Prosecutors charged Dyer in 2010 with child sexual abuse, but a mistrial was declared when the jury couldn't reach a verdict. Officials rescheduled the proceeding but it was delayed when Dyer didn't show up for a court hearing before the start of his second trial.

Authorities arrested him in Fort Bend County, Texas, and returned him to the state for the second trial, which ended in a mistrial because of a jury survey error.

(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

• by VICKIE on Apr 25, 2012 at 12:03 AM
    I DEFINETELY THINK THAT ANYONE MOLESTING A CHILD SHOULD SPEND THE REST OF THEIR LIFE IN PRISON,BUT I ALSO THINK IF A PERSON WRONGFULLY ACCUSES A PERSON THEN THAT PERSON SHOULD ALSO BE SENT TO PRISON.IM NOT TALKING ABOUT THE YOUNG KIDS BUT THE ONES OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER AND LIE ANYWAY
  • by ma desauliers Location: Tulsa on Apr 24, 2012 at 09:17 AM
    FBI Agent Pleads Guilty to Child Abuse Tuesday February 17, 2004 11:46 PM By JOHN SOLOMON The former chief internal watchdog at the FBI has pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting a 6-year-old girl and has admitted he had a history of molesting other children before he joined the bureau for what became a two-decade career. John H. Conditt Jr., 53, who retired in 2001, was sentenced last week to 12 years in prison in Tarrant County court in Fort Worth, Texas, after he admitted he molested the daughter of two FBI agents after he retired. He acknowledged molesting at least two other girls before he began his law enforcement career, his lawyer said.
      by Beaker on Apr 24, 2012 at 11:52 AM in reply to ma desauliers
      So two wrongs make a right? I think the profession or military background of ANY criminal is irrelevant.
        by Eyes on Apr 24, 2012 at 04:44 PM in reply to Beaker
        Well said!
  • by labella Location: Kingfisher on Apr 24, 2012 at 09:06 AM
    I stayed away from my kids for 8 years because my crazy ex threatened to do that to me...or kill me if I tried to visit my children. Judging from the knee jerk reaction from law enforcement in this case I made the right decision. I have a wonderful relationship with them now since they are grown and their mom is on medication now.
      by Mike H. on Apr 24, 2012 at 06:07 PM in reply to labella
      Wife tried that on my daughter also, but she told the CPS worker what mommy was doing AND about mommy's boyfriend Gary which REALLY helped daddy out in court!!! Got full custody and SHE pays me! That a victory for good dads everywhere!!! HOORAH!!!
  • by Shawn Location: Home on Apr 23, 2012 at 03:11 PM
    It might have also been helpful to actualy give the facts of this case, like how the "victims" mother has threatened to have her current baby's daddy put away for the exact same thing, or the child has said in earlier testimony that nothing happened, or that the ONLY evidence they had was skin cells found on her bed, or what about how FBI agent Poole threatened mr dyer that if he didn't cooperate on another case that he would see to it that he would make up enough charges to put him away for 40 years. Or the recording of another FBI agent saying the easiest way to put someone away is to get a family member to accuse someone of sexual abuse
  • by here Location: gone on Apr 23, 2012 at 01:14 PM
    Two Mistrials and they going to try for a third waste of everyones money
      by Texas NDN on Apr 23, 2012 at 03:33 PM in reply to here
      You're right. It IS awaste of money. It would be much cheaper to take care of his cranial lead deficiency.
        by Eyes on Apr 24, 2012 at 04:47 PM in reply to Texas NDN
        Right on!
  • by Texas NDN Location: Denison on Apr 23, 2012 at 10:53 AM
    As far as I'm concerned, his only problem is a severe cranial lead deficency. Give him back to the Corps & let THEM take care of it. I betcha they'd be more than happy to take care of that deficency.
  • by Irritated Location: Wwtx on Apr 23, 2012 at 09:13 AM
    Why, exactly, does it matter that this perv is an ex marine? The fact he was in the marines is irrelevant to what he has done.
      by Anonymous on Apr 23, 2012 at 09:55 AM in reply to Irritated
      That was going to be my point! So he was an ex Marine? Was he also an ex high school athlete? A brother to someone? A Baptist? Why put the fact that he was a Marine in the headline?
        by Bubba Redneck on Apr 23, 2012 at 12:08 PM in reply to
        hey where does it say he was a baptist???why not jewish or catholic or muslum???
      by Mickey on Apr 23, 2012 at 11:32 AM in reply to Irritated
      Why not mention that he was an ex-Marine? You know darn well that if he was applying for a job or running for office he'd make sure everyone involved knew he was an ex-Marine.
      by Joe on Apr 23, 2012 at 12:03 PM in reply to Irritated
      I agree, but at least they are leaving out the part that he is a tea partier & an Oath Keeper....which he is.
Sherman 4201 Texoma Pkwy (903) 892 -8123 Ardmore 2624 S. Commerce (580) 223-0946
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 148518365 - kxii.com/a?a=148518365
Gray Television, Inc.