OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) - The names of hundreds of convicted sex offenders that appear on Oklahoma's Sex Offender Registry could potentially be removed following a recent ruling by the state Supreme Court.
Department of Corrections spokesman Jerry Massie said Tuesday the agency is reviewing the cases of more than 7,000 people whose names appear on the registry. Massie says many may be removed from the list following the high court's decision.
The court ruled last week that a man who pleaded no contest to a sexual assault charge in Texas in 1998 should be removed from the registry.
The ruling says amendments to the state's sex offender registry statute that increased the length of time the offender was required to register are unconstitutional because they retroactively increased his punishment after the crime was committed.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)