Venomous snake bites 2 students in class

BIG SANDY, Texas (AP) - Two high school students bitten by a venomous snake in science class are recovering at an East Texas hospital.

School officials in Big Sandy today say the students were bitten yesterday by a cottonmouth water moccasin their teacher had misidentified as non-venomous.

They were taken to a hospital yesterday when their hands began swelling.

Big Sandy Superintendent Scott Beene says the students are OK but remain hospitalized for observation. The snake was given to a nearby zoo.

Beene said the snake that turned out to be a cottonmouth had been brought in earlier this year.

Beene said he didn't know if the district will allow snakes back into any classes. He said the district plans to revisit its policies about bringing animals on campus.

----

Information assist from KLTV-TV: http://www.kltv.com

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)


Sherman 4201 Texoma Pkwy (903) 892 -8123 Ardmore 2624 S. Commerce (580) 223-0946
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 32437354 - http://kxii.com/a?a=32437354
Gray Television, Inc.