TYLER, Texas (AP) - A Tyler area couple died overnight when a fire swept through their home.
Smith County Fire Marshal Marilynn Wilson says the couple and their adult son were in the house when the fire broke out about 1:30 a.m. Wednesday. Wilson says the son tried to help his mother carry his paraplegic father from the burning house but was unsuccessful and fled to safety. Firefighters found the couple's bodies.
Wilson says early indications are that a space heater over the father's bed caused the fire. Exploding ammunition hampered firefighting efforts, and embers sparked a grass fire behind the house. Firefighters were able to contain that fire before it could damage nearby buildings.
Authorities are withholding identities of the dead until relatives can be notified.