FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) - A rooftop fire forced evacuation of the
Fort Worth Star-Telegram and delayed production of Tuesday's editions.
The fire broke out about 8 p.m. Monday at the newspaper's downtown Fort Worth headquarters, forcing about 30 employees to leave their desks. Managing Editor Lois Norder says delivery delays Tuesday are possible.
Fire Lt. Kent Worley says the fire broke out in the elevator housing on the roof. He says the fire was confined to the housing, but smoke and water from firefighters hoses spilled down the shaft into the basement and lower floors.
Reporters and editors returned to the newsroom about 10 a.m. to the smell of smoke.
Worley says the fire apparently began in the wiring of the elevator housing. Damage was limited mostly to the flooded subbasement.