DALLAS (AP) - Federal officials say they've reached their goal of more quickly completing FBI name checks on people seeking to work, live or become citizens of the U.S.
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services announced Monday that it has virtually eliminated the backlog.
The goal requires completing 98 percent of name check requests submitted to the FBI by Citizenship and Immigration Services within 30 days. The remaining 2 percent should be completed within 90 days.
Citizenship and Immigration Services says petitions which require more evaluation or interaction with other agencies do not fall under the backlog count.
(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.