Hot and Sour Shrimp
1/2 pkg (1/2 oz) dried shiitake or black chinese mushrooms
1/2 small unpeeled cucumber
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 large red bell pepper, cut into short, thin strips
Hot cooked Chinese egg noodles (optional)
1. Place mushrooms in small bowl; cover with warm water. Soak 20 minutes to soften. Drain; squeeze out excess water. Discard sterns, slice caps.
2. Cut cucumber in half lengthwise; scrape out seeds. Slice crosswire
3. Combine brown sugar and cornstarch in small bowl. Blend in vinegar and soy sauce until smooth.
4. Heat oil in wok or large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add shrimp, garlic and red pepper flakes; stir-fry 1 minute. Add mushrooms and bell pepper strips; stir-fry 2minutes or until shrimp are pink and opaque.
5. Stir vinegar mixture; add to wok. Cook and stir 30 seconds or until sauce boils and thickens. Add cucumber; stir-fry until heated through. Serve over noodles if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Circle S Catering
1720 Airport Road