Makes 8 Servings
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 cups buttermilk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a large bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking soda and salt. Mixing well with a fork.
2. In a medium bowl, beat the egg lightly with a fork. Add the buttermilk and vanilla and stir.
3. Lightly coat a nonstick griddle with cooking spray and heat over medium heat until a drop of water dances on it.
4. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Pour in the buttermilk mixture and mix together just enough to moisten the dry ingredients.
5. Pour sufficient batter to make thin, 4 inch pancakes (you can fit about four on an 11 inch griddle). Cook until you can see bubbles in the batter. Flip them gently and cook on the other side until you see steam rising, then quickly remove them to a plate.
6. Spread pancakes with apple butter or fruit jam and roll up to eat with your hands. These can also be served as traditional pancakes with syrup and butter.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving: 161 Calories; 2g Fat (10.3% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 30mg Cholesterol; 454mg Sodium.
Chef Karel Anne Tieszen
In Your Own Kitchen:Reality Cooking at Home
Designed by Gray Digital Media