For a diabetic diet, having a balance of carbohydrates and protein is important for stable blood sugar. When carbohydrates in a recipe are the whole grain type, they are even better for you, as they will not break down to sugar or starch quickly in the body. The bonus? Its good food for EVERYONE!
Chicken Mushroom Barley Soup
Recipe by Chef Karel Anne Tieszen
Serving Size : 8
1 1/2 pounds skinless chicken thighs
1/2 pound mushrooms -- sliced thin
1 cup carrots -- sliced 1/4 inch thick
1/2 cup celery -- chopped
1/2 cup barley -- uncooked
1 Tablespoon seasoned salt
1 dash pepper
1/4 cup green onion -- sliced
1/2 cup spinach leaves
1. Place the skinned chicken in a large stockpot, and add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Skim the accumulated foam from the top of the pot and discard.
2. Add the mushrooms, carrots, celery, barley and spices to the water and simmer for an hour.
3. Remove chicken and shred coarsely. Skim off the fat and simmer an additional 15 minutes.
4. Cut spinach into strips. Add chicken, green onions, and fresh spinach. Heat through and serve.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving: 115 Calories; 2g Fat (18.1% calories from fat); 12g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 40mg Cholesterol; 570mg Sodium.
Designed by Gray Digital Media