Serve this soup on a meatless night with spring rolls. It makes a delicious dinner that's light on calories, and long on flavor!
Makes 8 servings
10 cups water
4 inch square cheesecloth & cotton string
2 eggs -- scrambled dry
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups carrots -- cut in 1/2 inch slices
1/2 cup red onion -- diced
1/2 cup onion -- diced
2 inches lemongrass -- cut lengthwise
1/2 pound raw shrimp -- 21-25 count
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 serrano pepper -- seeded
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 slices pickled sushi ginger -- cut in half
1. In a large stockpot, bring 10 cups of water to a boil.
2. In a non-stick saucepan, scramble the two eggs. Scrape into a 4 inch square piece of cheesecloth and tie closed with a cotton string. Float in the boiling water. Wipe saucepan with a paper towel.
3. Heat oil in the saucepan. Saute' onions and carrots until the onions are translucent, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add to boiling water along with the sliced lemongrass. Boil gently for 15 minutes to impart flavors.
4. Peel, de-vein, and wash shrimp. Cut into small 1/2 inch pieces, about 5 per shrimp. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover and refrigerate.
5. Cut the serrano pepper into at least 8 pencil thin slices. Set aside.
6. Pour boiled soup through a strainer and return to pot. Discard solids. Return broth to a boil. Add shrimp and serranos. Boil for about 30-45 seconds or until the shrimp begin to turn pink. Remove from heat.
7. Layer two small pieces of sushi ginger in the bottom of each bowl. Divide the serrano slices, and cooked shrimp evenly among all bowls. Ladle hot broth over and serve.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving: 83 Calories; 5g Fat; 2g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 53mg Cholesterol; 236mg Sodium.