Today in Food around the world we travel to Greece. Chef Karel Anne is here with a great hearty soup with loads of flavor.
* Exported from MasterCook *
Golden Lamb Stew
Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Simmering Sumptuousness
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup bourbon
1/4 cup hot water
2 pounds lamb shoulder -- cut in 1 inch cubes
1 cup orange juice
4 cloves garlic -- minced
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup pearl onions -- or chopped onions
1 Tablespoon flour
2 teaspoons coriander
2 teaspoons thyme
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 cup almonds -- slivered
1/2 cup red wine
3 medium tomatoes -- seeded, cubed
1/2 cup calamata olives -- halved and pitted
salt and pepper -- ground, to taste
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
3 Tablespoons cream sherry
1. Place raisins in a glass bowl. Pour the bourbon over the raisins and stir to separate. Add 1/4 cup hot (not boiling) water and give a quick stir. Cover with plastic wrap for at least 30 minutes while preparing other ingredients.
2. Marinate the lamb with the orange juice and garlic in a non-reactive pan for at least two hours in the refrigerator. Drain well and reserve the marinade.
3. Heat two tablespoons of the olive oil in a Dutch oven. Sear the lamb on all sides in small batches. Remove the meat with a slotted spoon to a bowl. Pour the accumulated broth into the orange juice marinade. Do not wash pan.
4. Using the remaining two tablespoons of oil, saute' the onions in the pan until light golden. Sprinkle the flour and spices over the onions and saute for about three minutes. Add the almonds and cook one minute more.
5. Pour in the red wine and quickly de-glaze by scraping the bits from the bottom and sides of the pan. Add the raisins with the sherry and the reserved marinade. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a strong simmer.
6. Return the lamb to the pan. Add the tomatoes and the olives, stirring to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer for about an hour until the meat is tender.
7. Just before serving, add three tablespoons of cream sherry. Ladle into bowls.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 595 Calories; 41g Fat (65.4% calories from fat); 24g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 86mg Cholesterol; 163mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1 Fruit; 6 1/2 Fat.