We are cooking with Chef Karel Anne Tiesze. Today we are making a delicious russian potatoe salad that will go well with an summer dish.
Log on to her website to get her book "In Your Own Kitchen
THis dish is great with your masterpieces from the grill. It can dress up the burgers, or it can stand tall with a steak.
The key to this creamy treat is keeping it COLD COLD COLD. Practice good picnic safety if this one goes on the road.
Russian Potato Salad
Serving Size : 12
7 medium white potato -- about 2.5 lbs., peeled and cut into 1/2" pieces
1 3/4 cups green peas and carrots, frozen (about half of a 1 lb bag)
1/4 cup mayonnaise
3/4 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
3 cloves garlic -- finely chopped
6 ounces crabmeat -- separated, jumbo lump
3 cloves garlic
2 eggs, hard-boiled -- finely chopped
1 1/2 cups yellow onion -- finely chopped
4 ounces salmon caviar -- or 1/2 cup shredded carrots
3 sprigs fresh dill
sweet red pepper strips
1. Put potatoes into a large pot, cover with salted water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and cool.
2. Whisk together 1/4 cup mayonnaise, sour cream, oil, lemon juice, 3 cloves of garlic, and salt to taste in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate sour cream mix until cold.
3. In another bowl, whisk together 3/4 cup mayonnaise and garlic; gently fold in crabmeat. Cover and refrigerate crab mix until cold.
4. Gently mix sour cream mixture with eggs and onions along with the reserved potatoes, carrots, and peas. Cover and refrigerate potato salad until cold.
4. Just before serving, mound potato salad onto a round serving platter and form into a large cake. Spread crab mixture evenly over the top and sides.
Decorate top of salad with salmon caviar/shredded carrots (arranging it in the shape of a crab, if you like) and dill sprigs.
Arrange pepper strips around the base of the salad. Serve immediately.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving : 182 Calories; 9g Fat (44.6% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 54mg Cholesterol; 116mg Sodium.