Chocolate, Cream, French Pastry and memories of Valentine's Day! At my house, there is never any *leftover* chocolate, just some that hasn't been eaten yet. Try this recipe to polish off those chocolate hearts!
Chef Karel Anne Tieszen
Chocolate Croissant Bread Pudding
Serving Size : 12
12 croissants -- torn in pieces
12 ounces chocolate -- cut in 1/2 inch pieces
1 cup heavy cream
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
3 egg yolks
2 cups milk
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Prepare a non-metallic 13 inch x 9 inch pan with non-stick spray.
2. Place most of the torn croissants in the prepared pan. Tuck and hide the chocolate pieces among the croissants.
Cover about half of the chocolate with the remaining croissant pieces.
3. Heat the cream in a glass measuring cup in the microwave for 1 minute. Stir in the vanilla and heat one minute more.
4. Whisk together the sugar, eggs and egg yolks in a medium bowl. Slowly add the warm vanilla cream and whisk to combine.
Stir in the milk to incorporate thoroughly.
5. Pour the egg mixture through a small strainer over the croissants. When half of the liquid has been poured, gently push down the bread with the back of a soup spoon to encourage absorption of the cream.
Pour remaining liquid over the bread pudding.
6. Place the 13 x 9 in a slightly larger pan, and pour hot water in the larger pan to a depth of about 1 inch.
[Officially known as a bain-marie]. A lipped cookie sheet or jelly roll pan works well.
7. Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 45 minutes and until a knife comes out wet, but clear.
8. Slice into squares.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving : 573 Calories; 33g Fat (50.3% calories from fat); 10g Protein; 63g Carbohydrate;
3g Dietary Fiber; 177mg Cholesterol; 476mg Sodium.