Getting a head start on the appetizers for guests coming this month! This protein rich dish is spicy and tasty! It can also be served to four persons as a side dish, or a main dish over basmati or brown rice.
Curry Lentil Spread
Chef Karel Anne Tieszen
10 appetizer servings
1 cup lentils -- red, rinsed
1 teaspoon oil
1 cup onion -- cut in 1/4-inch squares
1/2 cup carrot -- shredded
2 cloves garlic -- minced
1 Tablespoon ginger -- fresh, minced
2 teaspoons curry
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1 Tablespoon curry paste
1 large tomato -- diced
2 cups chicken broth
1. Wash the lentils in cold water until the water runs clear. It will have a soapy appearance until clean. Set aside to drain.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onions and carrots for 4 minutes.
3.. Add the garlic, ginger, curry powder, cumin, turmeric and coriander. Stir together for about a minute.
4. Add the curry paste and tomato and stir together for about a minute.
5. Add the lentils and stir with spice mixture to blend. Add the chicken broth and stir to combine. Cover and reduce heat to simmer.
6. After ten minutes, stir and check water level. Mash lentils and cook until all water is absorbed. Allow to cool and spread on crackers.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving : 100 Calories; 2g Fat (16.3% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 15g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; trace Cholesterol; 204mg Sodium.