Chef Karel Anne Tieszen
Vegetarian John Black Eyed Peas
Serving Size : 12
3 cups black-eyed peas -- frozen or fresh
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup onion -- chopped
1/2 cup celery -- chopped
1/2 cup bell pepper -- chopped
2 garlic cloves -- minced
8 ounces mushrooms -- chopped
7 ounces green chilies -- (canned)
1/2 teaspoon Liquid Barbecue Smoke®
1/2 teaspoon hickory smoked salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 bay leaf
2 cups vegetable broth
1 tablespoon oregano -- fresh
3 cups brown rice -- cooked
1. If using fresh black eyes, add to boiling water, and set aside about an hour. If frozen, add boiling water and set aside while browning vegetables. Drain and rinse.
2. Heat oil in a medium pot. Sauté the onions until translucent. Add celery, bell pepper and garlic. Sauté another 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the mushrooms, and stir until they incorporate and release their juices. Add chilies and stir to combine.
4. Add the dried spices and bay leaf. Stir in the broth and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes, then stir in the fresh oregano. Simmer another 15-20 minutes, until the peas are tender.
5. Remove bay leaf and stir in the cooked rice. Simmer and stir about five more minutes until most of the liquid has been absorbed.