Braised Pork Sliders
Chef Karel Anne Tieszen
Serving Size : 8
6 pounds pork shoulder -- and country ribs, with bones
1 cup flour
1/3 cup chile powder
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cups onion -- diced
2 cups carrots -- diced
2 cups celery -- diced
10 cloves garlic
6 sprigs rosemary
4 sprigs thyme
6 cups stock
2 cups white wine
1. Preheat oven to 225F. Mix flour, chile powder, salt, and pepper together. Roll the shanks in this flour mixture.
2. In a large Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. In batches, sear shanks on all sides to brown; remove from pan. Repeat process adding more oil as needed. Add onions, carrots, celery, and garlic and sauté to brown. Add wine, stock, thyme, and rosemary. Bring to a boil.
3. Arrange pork pieces in a large baking pan. Pour the vegetable mixture into the baking pan, pouring over the shanks. Cover with foil and place in the oven for 6 hours. The meat should be tender but still on the bone. Remove from oven and refrigerate until the evening.
4. Pull meat from the bones and skim any fat. Pull meat apart into shreds and reserve for sliders. Heat a small quantity at a time in a skillet, then assemble with coleslaw on small slider buns.
5. Alternate preparation : Heat oven to 350F, and cook for 2 1/2 hours, turning over halfway through the cooking process. No need to reheat.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving : 569 Calories; 33g Fat (52.4% calories from fat); 42g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; 5g
Dietary Fiber; 121mg Cholesterol; 648mg Sodium.