That cold snap made me think about good soups again, and if we have another one before all hot weather, then we are prepared!
This soup can be made ahead up through step 3, with the fresh tomatoes, cilantro, cheeses and tortilla strips added on the night you are going to serve. Don't be afraid of the spiciness, the second spoonful will convert you to the universal, "YUM!"
Fiery Fiesta Soup
Chef Karel Anne Tieszen
Serving Size : 8
5 cups chicken broth
14 ounces vegetable broth -- canned
1 1/2 Tablespoons garlic
1 cup onion -- 1/2 inch dice
1/2 cup bell pepper -- 1/2 inch dice
1/2 cup celery -- 1/2 inch dice
15 ounces hominy, canned -- drained and rinsed
11 ounces tomato puree
11 ounces V-8® vegetable juice -- spicy
3 Tablespoons chili powder
1 Tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 jalapeno -- flowered, see directions
1 jalapeno -- seeded and chopped
1 Tablespoon masa harina
2 cups chicken -- skinned, cooked and diced
1 cup Monterey jack cheese -- shredded
1/2 cup cheddar cheese -- shredded
1 cup tomato -- seeded and diced
1/2 cup cilantro -- chopped
4 corn tortillas -- cut in 1/2 inch strips
2 Tablespoons oil
1 large lime -- cut in 8 wedges
1. In a large soup pot, combine the chicken broth and vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
2. Add garlic, onion, bell pepper, celery, hominy, tomato puree, tomato juice, dried spices, and chopped jalapeno to the soup. Float the flowered jalapeno in the soup pot. Bring to a simmer.
3. Remove about 1/2 cup of hot broth from the soup. Mix with the masa harina to make a thick, flowable mixture. Return masa blend to the soup and stir. Add diced chicken. Lower heat and simmer slowly while preparing the tortillas.
4. In a small frying pan, heat the oil. Gently fry the tortilla strips until light brown. Using tongs, remove the strips to paper towels to drain.
5. Remove the soup from the heat. Discard the floating jalapeno. Stir in the cheeses, fresh tomato, and cilantro.
6. Ladle into soup bowls, squeeze one lime wedge over each bowl. Top with a few tortillas and serve.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving : 392 Calories; 20g Fat (45.2% calories from fat); 21g Protein; 34g
Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 59mg Cholesterol; 1561mg Sodium.