Good nutrition. Your heart's in it because you know it's good for your heart.
But you see, there's that one recipe you love, but just don't know how to prepare without all that (fat/sodium/cholesterol).
That's where I come in. It's no hill for a stepper, and if you will send me the original recipe, I can help you prepare it a more healthy way WITHOUT losing all the flavor.
Just like this recipe, that started with 442 calories and is now 224. 992 mg of sodium and now 331. And a whopping 30 grams of fat, down to 13 grams.
YOU CAN DO THIS!!
Chef Karel Anne Tieszen
Serving Size : 8
1 cup dried apples -- (or pears or combination)
1 1/3 cup water
2 cups carrot -- cut in 1/2 inch slices
1/2 cup celery -- 1/2 inch dice
2 leeks -- cut in 1/2 inch lengths
4 ounces bacon slices -- cut in 1 inch pieces
2 ounces ham sandwich meat, chopped
2/3 cup white wine
14 1/2 ounces new potatoes -- canned
3/4 pound smoked turkey sausage -- cut in 1 inch pieces
1/2 head cabbage -- cut in 8 wedges
1. Place fruit in glass bowl and water to cover the fruit. Place plastic wrap over the fruit. Let stand for 12 hours, or microwave for 30 seconds, and let stand while preparing other ingredients.
2. Add bacon pieces in the sauté' pan, and let them begin to curl, but not crisp. Add carrots, celery, and leeks. Sauté' and stir for about 10 minutes.
3. Drain and reserve liquid from the fruit. Add fruit, 1/3 cup of the wine, and 2/3 cup of the fruit water. Stir in the ham. Cover. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Add potatoes, remaining wine, and 2/3 cup of the remaining fruit water. Stir the sausage into the mixture.
5. Place cabbage wedges on top of stew, in a single layer. Raise heat gently. Simmer for about 10 minutes, covered.
6. Remove from heat when fork easily pierces the core of the cabbage wedge. Season with salt and pepper. Serve in large flat bowls.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving : 224 Calories; 13g Fat (49.5% calories from fat); 6g Protein; 24g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 21mg Cholesterol; 331mg Sodium.