While I am sure you are not Mary Mary Quite Contrary, in your spring garden, the squash has started to arrive. After you have steamed it, grilled it, and chopped it up to add to a salad, it is STILL going to be coming out of your garden and you want to know what ELSE can you do? Using a little leftover pasta, and the remaining chicken from the Sunday Roaster, you have an easy one dish meal that is perfect for a summer evening.
All together, this is about 30 minutes. So the sun will still be up after supper! Grab the forks!
Serving Size : 6
1 pound Zucchini squash -- sliced 1/4" thick
1 pound yellow squash -- bite sized
1/4 cup onion -- chopped
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup milk, 1% lowfat
2 cups frozen corn kernels
4 ounces green chiles -- canned
12 ounces shredded chicken
2 cups prepared orzo pasta
1/2 cup queso fresco -- shredded
1. Slice squash into bite size pieces and chop onions.
2. In skillet, heat oil. Combine squash and onions to saute for about 3 minutes. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Add milk and corn. Cover and simmer until corn is tender.
4. Add green chiles, chicken and pasta. Stir well. Cover and let simmer about 3 minutes, then remove from heat.
5. Stir in grated cheese and cover. Allow to sit a few minutes and serve when the cheese is melted.