- 1 loaf pesto focaccia
- 8 oz. freshly sliced turkey
- 4 oz. spinach artichoke spread (Available at your local grocer)
- 2 oz. asiago/Parmesan cheese
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 6-8 tomato slices
- pinch of salt and pepper
Preheat Panini grill (George Foreman grill works well) to medium temperature. In a medium sauce pan, sauté diced red onion in olive oil until transparent. Add balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.
Making the Dish: Slice the loaf of pesto focaccia into two semi-circles, and halve each semi circle. Layer the turkey onto the bottom halves of the focaccia bread, and spread spinach artichoke mix over turkey. Layer sautéed onions, asiago/parmesan blend and tomato slices. Close face of panini with the top halves of focaccia bread.
Add panini to preheated grill and press lightly. Grill 5 minutes on medium or until the cheese begins to melt and there are grill marks on focaccia. Serve hot with chips or favorite soup. Serves four
Helpful hints for creating panini:
1. While the ingredients may be prepared well in advance, grill just before serving to prevent soggy panini.
2. Use a light, even pressure on the panini grill to avoid pressing out the ingredients.
3. When making thicker panini, grill longer on lower temperatures to ensure warm center.
4. Customize your panini with your favorite ingredients and experiment with seasonal flavors.