Mesclun with Stilton Grapes and Honey Vinaigrette
- 1/2 head red leaf lettuce or other variet lettuce other than iceberg
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced or slivered almonds
- 20 seedless red grapes
- 1 Fiji apple
- 4 ounces mesclun
- 1/2 cup crumbled Stilton or blue cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons tabasco pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
Wash lettuce and wrap in paper towels in refigerator until ready to use. Toast almonds on cookie sheet 3 to 4 minutes in 350 degree oven. For Honey Vinaigrette, put first four ingredients in a blender or food processor. Process until smooth. Slowly add oil in a thin stream while the blender or processor is running. Continue processing. Mixture will thicken slightly. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Shortly before you are ready to serve, halve the grapes and core the apple. Cut unpeeled apple into 16 wedges. Toss desired amount dressing with salad greens, grapes, cheese, apples and almonds.
Allow approximately 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups of slightly packed lettuce per person, per serving as a side dish.