After having two weeks off, the East Central University women’s tennis team returned to the courts and earned their first win of the season, with an 8-1 Great American Conference win over Ouachita Baptist.
The Lady Tigers (1-3, 1-0 GAC) earned the win after all three doubles pairs claimed wins and No. 4 and No. 2 singles won. Sophomore Bernardita Muscillo claimed the match for ECU at No. 2 singles with a 6-1, 6-0 win over Kourtney Chumbley. Muscillo also paired with junior Mariah Vargas at No. 2 doubles for an 8-4 win over Bodine and Sokolova.
“It is good to get our first win in a conference match,” said head coach Charlie Hibbard. “It lets us see what is out there and we should do well in our conference this year.”
The Lady Tigers will continue their long week of matches Friday, March 15 and Saturday, March 16. ECU will face Northwest Missouri and Missouri Western (March 15) and Washburn (March 16).
March 13, 2013
East Central 8, Ouachita Baptist 1
1. Marta Valles vs. V. Mansvetova ECU 6-0, 6-3
2. Bernardita Muscillo vs. Kourtney Chumbley ECU 6-1, 6-0
3. Elisabeth Dignard vs. Kristin Bodine ECU 6-4, 6-2
4. Aurelie Rodriguez vs. Lilia Sokolova ECU 6-0, 6-1
5. Agostina Moran vs. Samantha Street ECU 6-2, 6-0
6. Kelsey Kerr vs. McKenzie Cranford OBU 6-4, 6-0
1. Valles/Dignard vs. Mansvetova/Chumbley ECU 8-4
2. Muscillo/Mariah Vargas vs. Bodine/Sokolova ECU 8-4
3. A. Rodriguez/Moran vs. Cranford/ C. Ferreira ECU 8-0