Crocker’s 4-point play lifts Oklahoma to OT win against Baylor

2-19-08 -- Tony Crocker converted a four-point play with 7.3 seconds left and Oklahoma came away with its second straight miraculous finish to beat Baylor 92-91 in overtime Tuesday night and gain crucial positioning for its NCAA tournament hopes.

Crocker was fouled by Aaron Bruce while making a 3-pointer from the left wing and then hit his free throw to put Oklahoma ahead late, and Curtis Jerrells missed a pair of free throws with 1 second left that could’ve given the Bears the win.

Kevin Rogers got the rebound on Jerrells’ second miss but was unable to put it back at the buzzer.

Blake Griffin scored a career-high 29 points and had 15 rebounds to lead Oklahoma, which squandered an eight-point lead in the final 3 minutes of regulation before overcoming a 7-0 surge by the Bears to start overtime.

The game was marked by a skirmish that resulted in the ejection of two Baylor players and an Oklahoma strength coach, and then even more excitement at the finish.

Jerrells scored 29 points and led Baylor’s comeback during regulation, but then couldn’t come through with the Lloyd Noble Center crowd cheering loudly when he stepped to the line.

Crocker, who hit four 3-pointers and scored 17 points, gave Oklahoma a realistic chance at the win when he hit a 3 from the right wing to cut the deficit to 89-88 with 19.7 seconds left.

Bruce hit two free throws to give Baylor a three-point lead, but then got caught under Crocker on what proved to be the game-winner.

It was the second straight dramatic finish for Oklahoma, which got a 28-foot 3-pointer from David Godbold with 1.4 seconds left to knock off Texas Tech in its last game. The victory vaulted the Sooners (18-8, 6-5 Big 12) past Baylor into a tie for fourth-place with Texas A&M in the Big 12 standings.

Austin Johnson scored 19 points for Oklahoma.

Rogers ended up with 18 points, Tweety Carter scored 17 and Henry Dugat added 13 for Baylor (17-8, 5-6), which has lost its last 28 games against the Sooners.

Oklahoma let an eight-point lead slip away in the final 3 minutes of regulation, with Jerrells driving past Griffin to tie the game at 75 with a layup that hung on the rim before falling through the net as the buzzer sounded.

The Bears trailed 62-54 at the time of a skirmish with 5 minutes remaining that resulted in two Baylor players being ejected, and eight points was again the deficit after Griffin hit two free throws with 2:47 left in regulation.

Jerrells hit a 3-pointer to make it 70-66 and ignite the Bears’ comeback, and he also hit two tying free throws with 14.2 seconds left in the second half. He answered Crocker’s two foul shots with the layup at the buzzer, zipping past Griffin from the right wing.

Jerrells spent the final portion of the game guarding Griffin, who is nine inches taller, after Mark Shepherd was ejected and Mamadou Diene fouled out.

Shepherd was sent to the locker room, along with teammate Richard Hurd and Oklahoma strength coach Darby Rich following a skirmish between the two teams with 5 minutes left in the second half.

Shepherd got tangled up with Griffin while going for a loose ball on the floor. Godbold came up with possession, and Shepherd appeared to hit Griffin in the face with his left elbow as the two got up.

After the teams were separated following a brief skirmish, officials reviewed replays on a courtside monitor and threw out Shepherd and Hurd—who had been on the bench—along with Rich, who left the Sooners’ bench to enter the fray.