No. 21 Baylor beats Oklahoma St 98-92 in OT

WACO, Texas (AP)—Coming back once wasn’t good enough for No. 21 Baylor. The Bears had to do it again, then still needed more time.

Tweety Carter hit two 3-pointers to start overtime and finally put Baylor ahead to stay in a 98-92 victory over Oklahoma State that was filled with wild swings.

“I don’t know about you guys, but I am worn out,” Baylor coach Scott Drew exclaimed.

Down by 17 points in the first half, Baylor recovered to go up by eight soon after halftime only to fall behind again by seven. The Bears (14-3, 2-1 Big 12) then needed a late 12-1 run just to be in position to force overtime.

“I think we’re going to see a lot of games like this, especially with the style we play and the way this league is,” said foul-plagued Obi Muonelo, who led the Cowboys with 21 points. “That’s just going to be part of games we’re going to see several times this year.”

Curtis Jerrells led the Bears (14-3, 2-1 Big 12) with 31 points and 10 assists, but missed a chance to win the game in regulation when he made only one free throw with 2.5 seconds left.

Carter, who had three points while playing 32 minutes in regulation, broke the 82-82 tie 12 seconds into overtime. He hit another 3 on the Bears’ next possession.

“Tweety’s been working on that. We can all make shots,” Jerrells said. “He was wide open, and he just stepped up with confidence and hit the first one. The next one, I drove and just pitched it to him.”

Baylor never trailed after hitting its first three shots in overtime, Jerrells making a 3-pointer after the two by Carter, who finished with 11 points. When Carter hit a floater with 48 seconds left, it was a 10-point game.

James Anderson had 20 points for Oklahoma State (12-4, 1-1), which had won seven straight, the Big 12’s longest winning streak.

Baylor, coming off an 11-point loss at Texas A&M, went ahead 81-77 when Henry Dugat hit a free throw with 29 seconds left in regulation to cap a 12-1 run. Byron Eaton of the Cowboys fouled out on the play. Dugat had made only one of two free throws a minute earlier, and Jerrells missed another free throw before Dugat went to the line again.

Freshman guard Keiton Page made an inside basket for the Cowboys, but missed a free throw that was rebounded by Muonelo. That led to a 3-pointer by Page with 12 seconds left for a one-point lead.

“I was shocked. … It was a great shot,” Muonelo said. “He kind of stepped back and just kind of leaned. I thought it was going to come a little short, but it rolled in. I was excited.”

That thrill was gone a few seconds later.

Anderson fouled Jerrells, who made a move in the lane after taking an inbounds pass from Carter. That was the Bears’ second chance after Jerrells’ shot at 4.5 seconds was knocked out of bounds.

“I knew he was going to try to get to the basket,” Anderson said. “It’s his strength and quickness. He handled the ball pretty good and he’s a tough guy to guard.”

Quincy Acy, a freshman making his first start for Baylor, had 17 points and 12 rebounds, while Kevin Rogers had 14 points, LaceDarius Dunn 13 and Dugat 12.

Eaton had 17 points, while Terrel Harris had 12 and Page 11 for the Cowboys, who had won by an average margin of nearly 24 points during their winning streak.

Muonelo already had 13 points when he made a long 3-pointer with 7:20 left in the first half to put the Cowboys up 33-19. But he didn’t score again until overtime.

Muonelo had two fouls in a 17-second span to start the second half and left the game with four. He scored eight of Oklahoma State’s 10 points in overtime with Eaton and Harris already fouled out.

The Cowboys led 37-20 with 6:15 left in the first half when Anderson hit two free throws after stealing a pass and getting fouled on his drive. But they didn’t make a field goal the final 6:34 of the first half.

Baylor responded with a 37-12 spurt, not even slowed down by the halftime break, and led 57-49 when Jerrells hit a 3-pointer with 12:20 left.

But Eaton sparked a 13-0 run with a floater and consecutive assists on 3-pointers by Anderson and Page. Harris’ reverse baseline layup capped the 3-minute spurt and put the Cowboys ahead 74-67 with 5 minutes remaining.

Jerrells followed his own miss for a basket with 2:23 left. Then Jerrells grabbed the rebound after Eaton missed and passed ahead to Dunn for a breakaway layup that pushed Baylor back in front.

“It was just a good college game, I guess,” Cowboys coach Travis Ford said. “I told our team at halftime that they’re not going to come in here and win by a big margin. That’s not going to happen so you better be ready.”

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus