4-19-07 - Former Southeastern Oklahoma State standout Eric Babers scored 11 points, grabbed four rebounds, blocked a shot and added a steal to help Structure Personnel to a 104-99 quarterfinal win over Soprema Thursday in the Collegiate Basketball Invitational.
Structure Personnel will now face Galaxy, a 110-105 victor over WRH Health System at 4:30 p.m. Friday in the semifinals. The winner will advance to the CBI Championship game at noon on Saturday.
Tarleton State's John Davis, who registered a double-double with 21 points and 10 rebounds, connected on six of his nine attempts from the field and also hit seven of his nine attempts from charity stripe, as Structure Personnel rallied 85-77 deficit with 6:44 left in the game with a 27-14 run to end the game.
Also scoring in double figures for Structure Personnel was Paul Wright of Mountain Sta te with 15 points, while Tom Port hit four treys en route to 14 points.
Philadelphia University's Christian Burns, the Daktronics' NCAA Division II Player of the Year, added 12 points and eight boards and Babers chipped in with 11. Chaminade's Zack Whiting dished out a game-high six assists.
Leading the way for Soprema was St. Augustine's Nicholas King with 22 points, while Tyrone Anderson of Concord pumped in 14 and Central Oklahoma's Anthony Brown contributed 11.
The Collegiate Basketball Invitational is a major national basketball event that gathers the finest 60 senior men's basketball players from all of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division II and Division III and National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA).
The event will take place at Wadsworth High School in Wadsworth, Ohio, and will consist of six teams of 10 players in double elimination tournament. Two sessions of two games each will be played both Thur sday and Friday with the championship game being played Saturday at noon. The CBI will conclude with an all-star game Saturday evening in front of a live, ESPNU audience as 20 players will selected to play in the game.
South Central Region in the CBI
- Central Oklahoma's Anthony Brown scored seven points, pulled down six rebounds, blocked two shots and had two steals for Soprema in a 101-89 loss to Louis Perry and Associates. Brown then had an 11-point, four-rebound performance in a 104-99 loss to Babers' Structure Personnel squad.
- Midwestern State's Drew Coffman scored five points and dished out three assists for First Merit in a 91-83 loss to Galaxy.
- Central Missouri's Zack Wright scored 13 points and dished out six assists for Galaxy against Coffman's First Merit squad before dropping in a game-high 18 points with four assists and four steals in a 110-105 victory over WRH Health Systems.
- Tarleton State's John D avis went 6-for-9 from the field with a pair of treys to score a team-high 21 points while pulling down 10 rebounds in Structure's 104-99 win over Soprema.
- Midwestern State's Eric Dawson had 13 points, seven rebounds, two steals and two blocks as his WRH Health Systems club fell 110-105 to Galaxy.