Denison athletic director/head coach resigns for TN job

By: KXII-TV Staff Email
By: KXII-TV Staff Email

DENISON, TX - Denison ISD reported Wednesday that Cody White has resigned as Athletic Director and Head Football Coach to accept a position in Tennessee.

Here is the full press release from Denison ISD:

"Cody White, Denison ISD Head Football Coach and Athletic Director, has accepted a coaching position in Tennessee and will be departing Denison and the school district in the near future. White first began his coaching career in Denison as an Offensive Coordinator and Head Track Coach during the 2001-2002 school year. He returned to Denison as Offensive Coordinator in 2005-2006, and was named Head Football Coach in 2007-2008. In the summer of 2008, White became DISD’s Athletic Director and Head Football Coach and has served in that capacity to date. Job application details for coaches interested and qualified for the position will be made available early next week. White’s Denison Yellow Jackets advanced to the Regional Semi-Finals in 2008 and the State semi-finals in 2009.

“Coach White has been a tremendous role model and motivator for our student athletes, both on and off the playing field. He will be sorely missed, but we wish him well in his new venture,” said Denison ISD Superintendent Dr. Henry Scott. “The District will be looking to replace Coach White with a highly qualified person who is not only a great football coach and athletic administrator, but also an individual of high integrity and character who will motivate and inspire our kids to excel in all areas. Denison is well known for its top-notch schools and athletic programs, as well as its supportive fan base and community. I have no doubt we’ll find an excellent coach to carry on the great Yellow Jacket legacy.”"

We'll have more tonight on First News at Fox Texoma News in sports.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

• by Anonymous on Feb 21, 2012 at 03:49 PM
    Coach White is a great is a person he's a great motivator when for his guys just becauase he went 34-24 in five seasons with yellow jackets don't make a awful coach he led the state semifinals in 2008-2009
  • by Sean on Feb 20, 2012 at 02:15 AM
    Denison needs Joel Luper,this man has been around Denison his whole life,he has a personal interest in Denison,Denison don't need someone from south Texas,it needs a homegrown,hometown kind of guy that people know and respect!!!bringing in outsiders who have no clue what Denison is about is a huge mistake!!Keep in mind Denison is a special place,almost everyone knows each other and it has a friendly type of Atmosphere,Residents do not like outsiders coming in pretending like they know them!!People and athelets as well,will be much more responsive to someone they know and trust!!While maintaining,Honesty,integrity,and being a role model for the kids.
      by Softball Guy on Feb 25, 2012 at 08:05 AM in reply to Sean
      Joel coaches football better than he played softball!! Ha Ha!. Just kiddin Joel. U Da Man!!
  • by Alumni on Feb 18, 2012 at 05:59 AM
    Why not bring back I'm proud to be a Yellow Jacket Marty Criswell!!!
  • by 100 Comments on Feb 16, 2012 at 08:37 PM
    Wow!, WHAT A FireStorm... From all of the comments about Coach WHITE, I, have come to the conclusion That, Cody was a Nice Guy But an Average Coach. I wish him well....
  • by No_NAme Jacket on Feb 16, 2012 at 08:11 AM
    ok yes, I personally agree that coach white is no t the best coach in the world. From a players perspectice he was a bad coach, as a student though he was a cool guy. BUt parents being disrespectful is uncalled for, sometimes its part of the players fault they lose, after all the coaches call the plays but he should know when to call it quits and try something new. I am only a freshmen and i look forward to working forwhatever coach takes his spot but i wish him and the team he is coaching the best of luck and thats it. I respect him as a person..... and sometimes as a coach
  • by Jacket Father on Feb 15, 2012 at 03:13 PM
    I wish Coach White the best. I would have made the same decision that he did if I had that opportunity in front of me. Coach White took us deep into the playoffs a few years ago. You must give him credit for that. He didn't have strong classes the last few years and had some kids transfer out that hurt the depth. I do think that he could have made some different decisions last year that would have helped, but it wouldn't have mattered much because we weren't a strong team. My only issue with Coach White was his avoidance of a problem that several parents were having with another coach. (not a football coach) I do believe that un-fairness is rampant throughout the DISD. I've seen it happening for years. I'm hoping that we get a strong leader in here who will not shy away from tough issues. I do wish Coach White and his family the best. They do seem like very nice people.
  • by Joey Location: Denison on Feb 13, 2012 at 03:31 PM
    Rebecca (2-13-12), your comment deserves a response, because I have made many positive comments about Denison. I have chosen to live in Denison because it has a small town atmosphere with affordable housing, a relatievly low crime rate, and decent weather. It is not a high growth area, and I prefer that to the communities to our south that have become congested with traffic, cookie cutter housing developments, and big box retailers. You may note that many of my negative comments on these forums have been made with respect to those initiatives that seek to turn Denison into clones of those communities to our south. On this thread, my negative comments were aimed specifically at those who keep wanting to beat the dead Cody White horse. Among many in Denison I sense so much envy over what other communities have that it seems folks lose sight over the fact that Denison is a relatively small town that is not growing. What is more negative, stating that fact or continually denying it? I would suggest that those who want Denison to be like McKinney, should move there instead.
  • by Farewell Cody on Feb 12, 2012 at 03:42 PM
    You came, You gave your best. You are a Good Coach, Not a Great Coach until you win State. I feel that you will do just that. So, Goodbye Texas, Hello Tennessee. OH, Henry (Great) Scott... Go get Todd Dodge, I heard he like to fish!!!.
  • by Tyler Location: Denison on Feb 9, 2012 at 04:56 PM
    I have played several sports as a Denison Yellow Jacket. I can tell you from within the program that there is no racial prejudice in either the athletic program or in the booster club. That is preposterous! Athletes play according to their skill level, attitude, grades, and effort-- not because of the color of their skin or the involvement of their parents in the booster club. That was a ridiculous assertion by some of the posters here and completely false. You are misinformed or simply trying to stir the pot.
  • by Joey Location: Denison on Feb 9, 2012 at 02:48 PM
    Ok, Ok, enough already. Cody White is leaving. There is absolutely no need to re-hash his accomplishments nor his shortcomings. Folks here in Denison have this tendency to dwell on the past, the history, the good old days. Well, the past is the past, and it's time to move on. I hope Denison is able to hire a good coach with a history of success. However, keep in mind that Denison is NOT a growing community. Just check the census figures. Denison may be the only north Texas city that has fewer people than it did 40 years ago. We may be getting a new HS, but in a few years Dension could just as easily fall to 3A, and any coach with aspirations of running a big time football program may find that Denison is not the peach folks around here make it out to be.
      by Don on Feb 9, 2012 at 04:46 PM in reply to Joey
      We are nowhere close to falling to 3A, Joey, and we learned long ago on the HD board that you do not know or care anything about athletics. i wish that I had a dollar for every time in the past when you have slammed Denison for one thing or another. I would be a rich man! Would you care to move.... or do you already live in SHERMAN?
        by Reply to Joeyee on Feb 10, 2012 at 12:55 PM in reply to Don
        You voice your poison all over the Herald Blogs. Nobody would save u from drowning. Get off here and go to Kitty land where you belong
          by Anonymous on Feb 17, 2012 at 05:45 AM in reply to Reply to Joeyee
          the man makes atrue statement.
        by Joey on Feb 10, 2012 at 05:12 PM in reply to Don
        Don, you have no idea where the cut-off numbers will be in a few years. Of course there is nothing wrong with being a 3A team, but if you read the job description, it specifically makes reference to 4A and 5A experience. BTW you are completely ignorant of my interest in athletics. I have not only successfully coached sports, but I am a parent of a child that earned a Division I athletic scholarship, played 4 years, graduated with honors, and went on to coach at the college level. Telling the truth about Denison's population trends is not a slam, it's a fact. That's right, a fact...something a number of folks here in Denison have a hard time accepting. As I indicated in my previous post, I hope Denison gets a good coach. Unfortunately, his job will be much tougher dealing with the mentality that's displayed by many of the posters on this thread. Stuck in the past, and afraid to face facts. Your reference to "SHERMAN" is a good illustration of just how small minded you are. And, "Reply to Joeyee", have heard the one about being on fire along side the road? Yea, I thought so.
          by Joeyee on Feb 13, 2012 at 09:34 AM in reply to Joey
          Man, I'm glad you put us in our place! Now, Just go away!!!
          by Rebecca on Feb 13, 2012 at 02:32 PM in reply to Joey
          Joey-- You were once an active poster on the HD boards before they killed them, right? You sound like a very intelligent and informed man. However, I can't say that I have ever read even one positive thing that you have had to say about our community. One wonders why you stay.
      by David on Feb 9, 2012 at 08:01 PM in reply to Joey
      2a 3a who cares there is good football played at all levels. I would love for Denison to hire the good coach from 3a 2a 1a because there are some good ones at ever level. Let me ask you this has the peach fell off of Stephenville I believe there 3a. What about La Marque also a 3a school.
      by Anonymous on Feb 17, 2012 at 05:43 AM in reply to Joey
      true
Sherman 4201 Texoma Pkwy (903) 892 -8123 Ardmore 2624 S. Commerce (580) 223-0946
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 138503609 - kxii.com/a?a=138503609
Gray Television, Inc.