Staph survivor

By: Teddy Safo Email
By: Teddy Safo Email

TISHOMINGO, Okla. -- The hot topic across the country this week has been the MRSA staph bacteria, an infection that health experts say can be debilitating and can even kill you. Now a local man is talking about his traumatic experience with the infection.

Tishomingo native Jimmy Sanderson came down with the MRSA infection last year. He spent six weeks in the hospital and during his stay doctors told him he would never walk again.

Last year, Sanderson was living in Oklahoma City when he suddenly collapsed and fell to the floor in his own kitchen. A day later his roommate found him and rushed him to the hospital.

That’s when doctors discovered had MRSA in his spinal cord. Surgeons removed the staph from his spinal cord, and Sanderson was told he would never walk again, but through solid determination, he’s proving all the experts wrong.

"I’m learning to walk through determination. I have a strong family, a strong partner, we’re all pretty determined. ‘Can’t’ is not one of our words," says Sanderson

Sanderson said he wanted to share his story because MRSA left him temporarily paralyzed, but he’s making tremendous progress.

As of his last doctor's visit, Sanderson has had no signs of the infection.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Donna Location: Durant on Oct 30, 2007 at 05:33 AM
    My daughter who is high school contracted MRSA the first part of this year, she was in the hospital for 5 days wirh IV antibiotics. when she came home, my husband went in and was in for 15 days. Both of my family members were seriously ill Both had high fevers 104. My other dayfgter cane down with it and was immediately put on Bactrim DS. Both my other daughter and husband were on massive doses of antibiotics and both had to have the wound incised. Both are doing well now.
  • by Rhedda Location: Durant on Oct 24, 2007 at 10:19 AM
    I have had two children that have had the staph infection. Luckily we caught theirs before it got bad. You know covering the wouunds isn't enough. Not only is this transmitted though not washing your hands but it is in your nostrils. Both my girls had to put medicine in their nostrils to help with the spreading of it. It is extremely contageous, anyone that is infected should avoid contact with anyone and be aware that it is also in the nose. Very dangerous stuff. The antibiotics to kill it arn't cheap either. My oldest daughter has lots of problems with the first two antibiotics making her sick the third cost over 3,000 dollars, luckily she has medical coverage. They are expecting it to kill more people than AIDS. The problem is people arn't aware. They get a boil and think it's a bite and don't go to the doctor and then it spreads. And if you don't complete the antibiotics it comes back and usually worse.
  • by midniteryder Location: Sherman on Oct 21, 2007 at 03:39 PM
    Betty- if EVERYONE bothered to wash their hands (not just hospital staff) things would be better. Don't be so quick to blame MRSA infections on healthcare workers- we have patients coming into our facility with MRSA infections they got outside the hospital. We ALL need to do better about handwashing.
  • by betty Location: sherman on Oct 19, 2007 at 10:36 AM
    Yeah, glad your momis a hand washer. Maybe if ALL staff and hopital visitors did that there wouldn't be a problem!
  • by Anonymous on Oct 19, 2007 at 09:55 AM
    No amount of washing your hands guarantees that you won't get it. Earlier this year, Mom visited to local hosp. in Sherman and contracted MRSA. She died three weeks later. She was always a very clean person and constantly washed her hands.
  • by betty Location: sherman on Oct 19, 2007 at 09:03 AM
    It all goes back to washing your hands. Just like mom used to tell you.
  • by somewhere Location: Texas on Oct 18, 2007 at 07:50 PM
    Glad to hear this young man is recovering much better than the Dr. expected. I work at small school. Several of our students have had staph infections this year. This is beginning to be a serious illness. Everyone needs to be cautious to keep wounds clean and to cover them when out in public places. Keep safe.
Sherman 4201 Texoma Pkwy (903) 892 -8123 Ardmore 2624 S. Commerce (580) 223-0946
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 10653951 - kxii.com/a?a=10653951
Gray Television, Inc.