Turkey fryer ignites Sherman home

By: KXII-TV Staff Email
By: KXII-TV Staff Email

SHERMAN, TX -- One family's Christmas celebration, and their home, literally went up in flames. Neighbors say the family had just sat down to their Christmas meal in the 2100 block of Turtle Creek circle in Sherman, when the turkey fryer and its propane tank exploded in the driveway.

Fire crews say flames spread to the garage, two cars, and then the attic. The wind fueled the flames, causing the fire to spread. All three family members and two dogs escaped safely. Neighbors watched on in this tight knit community.

"We went out the backdoor and here was the smoke and the flames and all and we got our water hose and watered our garage door down and we looked over there and there were flames and it seemed to have started from a cooker," says Bob Leeman, a next-door neighbor.

Leeman says he was eating Christmas dinner with friends when they heard a loud, inexplicable boom coming from next door.

Firefighters say they are still calculating the extent of the damage.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Anonymous on Dec 27, 2007 at 09:43 AM
    Gotta have my food now!!!!!!! Sorry about the loss though. As I recall, anything being cooked to the max never resulted in any good outcome...as I horifically recall the coliseum fire started by the jet engine. Save the fireworks for July 4th everyone!
  • by Anonymous on Dec 27, 2007 at 07:21 AM
    Brining & roasting a turkey (per Alton Brown from "Good Eats" on the Food Network) makes a delicious, wonderfully moist turkey... and is way safer than frying. But frying is what impresses people, and that of course is the most important thing, so you gotta stick with that... (rolls eyes)
  • by Steve Location: Denison on Dec 26, 2007 at 05:50 PM
    I cook mine in the oven...
  • by Jeers Location: Cheers on Dec 26, 2007 at 01:52 PM
    Sorry about your luck on the fire and all, glad no one was seriously injured. But there are specific directions on the turkey fryer to keep this from happening. I hope no one said "Hold my Beer and Watch This" as they were dropping the turkey in the vat of hot grease.
Sherman 4201 Texoma Pkwy (903) 892 -8123 Ardmore 2624 S. Commerce (580) 223-0946
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 12818962 - kxii.com/a?a=12818962
Gray Television, Inc.