Inmate's family says death is suspicious

By: Emi FitzGerald Email
By: Emi FitzGerald Email

ATOKA, Okla. -- A family is outraged, after their loved one dies suddenly in an Oklahoma prison. Family members speak out on why they think the death seems suspicious.

The ground is still soft at Timmy Gene Williams' grave site and flowers mark the spot where family members remember the 46-year-old.

"He was a great dad, very well love," says Megan Fincher, Williams’s daughter.

Williams died one week ago in the Lex Assessment and Reception Center in Lexington Oklahoma. He was being held there while paperwork for his upcoming hearing was processed.

Medical records show Williams, incarcerated on drug charges, hit his head in his cell at the Lex Assessment and Reception Center. He was taken to Purcell Municipal Hospital, stitched up, and released back to the Department of Corrections facility.

"They told us that he was waiting to be transported back to his cell when he just stopped breathing,” Megan says. “But whenever we talked to the medical examiner they told us he was strapped to a bed whenever he quit breathing. So, we just want to know the true story, what really happened. That's all we want and nobody wants to talk to us."

Megan says her family has tried to talk to the warden, but HIPAA laws prevent officials from releasing any information since Williams did not leave an executor of his will.

Medical records state that he had a psychotic episode, was aggressive and violent, but the same records show he was taking several medications like Xanax and Vicotin. Those drugs as designed as "downers,” which do not typically cause belligerent behavior. Family members also say Williams never exhibited violent, psychotic behavior.

"Just because he was in prison doesn't mean he doesn't have rights just like the rest of us. And they should have been looking out for his best interest. If he was having episodes, he should've been in a room by himself so he couldn't hurt himself or others," Megan says.

When Williams body was taken to a funeral home, family members say they saw more wounds on his body and took photos too graphic to show on television. The photos depict two head wounds, bruising on his head, a wound on his hand, and severe bruising on his right foot. The medical records only record one head laceration.

Williams was a regular in Lexington, with a lingering drug problem. He arrived at LARC December 20, 2007, awaiting a parole hearing scheduled for February, 2009. The latest visit was the 8th or 9th trip to the facility.

Even with those problems, Megan says he still deserves human dignity.

"He was an excellent dad. Now that I look back, whenever I was younger, I always wanted to know, why he would rather be in prison than to be home with his family.

But I don't think it was that at all. I don't think it was that he didn't want to be with his family, I think he needed to be there. I think that was when he could stay clean whenever he was in prison. But dad was, everybody loved dad. He had so many friends that just wanted to be around him all the time."

KXII-TV called the Lexington facility, but HIPAA laws prohibit them from commenting other than to confirm his death, and say they treat every case individually.

Family members say the medical examiner is waiting for a toxicology report to be complete. They've also contacted an attorney and say they hope this can help bring them some closure.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
Sherman 4201 Texoma Pkwy (903) 892 -8123 Ardmore 2624 S. Commerce (580) 223-0946
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 13883792 -
Gray Television, Inc.