Whitesboro family suffers carbon monoxide poisoning

By: KXII-TV Staff Email
By: KXII-TV Staff Email

WHITESBORO, Tex. -- A Whitesboro family is in the hospital Friday afternoon due to carbon monoxide poisoning. Now authorities want to make sure everyone knows the warning signs. Daniel Gotera has more from Wilson N. Jones Hospital where the family is recovering.

Family members are resting comfortably at this hour, but it was a different story Friday morning as the symptoms they were showing were due to what emergency crews are calling a ‘good-sized’ carbon monoxide leak.

Emergency crews were called to Building 7 at 500 College Street in Whitesboro. Upon arrival, they found a man complaining of shortness of breath. He was treated at the scene but was later taken to the Wilson N. Jones by his family two hours later.

After several tests were run, authorities say it was determined the man had suffered carbon monoxide poisoning and that other family members were feeling the effects of the gas as well.

Fire crews went back to the scene and discovered a leak from a water heater and were able to seal it.

Authorities say if you ever feel faint or smell a suspicious odor, call the police.

"Get out of the house, call 911, and start breathing some clean air. We can go in there with masks and not breathe it, and we'll get in there and we'll deem it," Whitesboro firefighter Kevin Hartless said.

Officials say several family members remain at the hospital Friday evening.

No other homes were affected by the leak.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 22, 2008 at 12:37 PM
    this is not a good story,so take it off
  • by Diana Location: Madill on Jan 22, 2008 at 08:37 AM
    Thank God they are alright, PLEASE get monitors!!! They will save families lives, these can be more expensive than smoke detectors, so we may need to look at a donation program ......
  • by Kristi Location: Whitesboro on Jan 21, 2008 at 07:17 AM
    The rest of the story... when the air was tested in this apartment, the concentration of carbon monoxide was 83 ppm (parts per million). The lethal limit, according to the doctor, is 35 ppm. The doctor said there was no "logical" explaination why this man and his 3 children were alive. The man told the doctor simply that the "explaination" is Almighty God. God who gives us the very breath we breathe. This family is fully devoted to serving God, and was under His mighty hand of protection that night. I think it noteworthy that this was a miracle, and I hope that someone is blessed by this testimony.
  • by Anonymous Location: Whitesboro on Jan 21, 2008 at 06:01 AM
    Always easy enough to install a carbon monoxide detector just like you would a smoke detector.
  • by Laura on Jan 20, 2008 at 10:25 PM
    Yes Carbon Monoxide is odorless, but natural gas is not odorless.
  • by terri on Jan 18, 2008 at 06:13 PM
    yeah i thought it was odorless also. how can we know we are breathing in that if we cant smell or see it. isnt that way the detectors for that stuff is so costly
  • by Anonymous on Jan 18, 2008 at 04:48 PM
    Smell a suspicious odor? I thought carbon monoxide was supposed to be odorless?
Sherman 4201 Texoma Pkwy (903) 892 -8123 Ardmore 2624 S. Commerce (580) 223-0946
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 13907147 - kxii.com/a?a=13907147
Gray Television, Inc.