WHITESBORO, Tex. - Firefighters were kept busy Thursday with fires popping up all over Texoma. Dry grass and high winds fueled those flames. One fire destroyed a Whitesboro couple's home.
When firefighters arrived Thursday afternoon on Dixie Road in Whitesboro, Assistant Fire Chief Jeff Patterson says it was already too late.
“We initially responded to a structure fire. It was fully involved when we got here. Wind also fueled grassfire due to big fire inside the building."
Patterson says the resulting grassfire burned about ten acres before they were able to put it out. “It’s a red flag day, so fire danger is incredibly high."
The aircraft hangar that caught fire was also an office building and home to Michael Hinsley and his pregnant wife.
“It held just about everything we owned. Yeah, it’s not a traditional type of home, but it was still a home.”
Hinsley says two employees were in the office when the fire started. "Wanted to make sure everyone was out, we had a pet inside.”
Hinsley says their dog is fine, but they lost everything else. "We lost memories, pictures, material things, but that can be replaced."
One firefighter was taken to the hospital for heat exhaustion, but is expected to be fine. Crews also managed to get the propane tanks out of the burning hangar safely.
Hinsley says he just wants to thank everyone for helping. “We're very thankful for departments. Several counties came here to help and some are on their second shift. I know it’s a strain on resources. I’m thankful to have them here. It’s just a shock right now.”
Hinsley says all they can do now is move forward. “We'll assess damage, get with insurance, and get the report from the fire department as to what started the fire. It’s a big question mark, what caused it. We’re just going to get questions answered, and start rebuilding."