Fatal house fire in Sherman

By: KXII-TV Staff Email
By: KXII-TV Staff Email

SHERMAN, TX -- We’re often warned of the dangers of space heaters. Many use them to keep warm during these cold nights, but for one Sherman family, a warm night turned deadly.

"What I saw was all the flashing lights for one, and basically these guys working hard to get this thing out."

Daron Holland describes what he woke up to early Friday morning-- his neighbor’s home fully-engulfed.

"I wasn't really sure what was burning, and then she told me she thought it was Mr. Escoe’s house."

Craig Escoe and his wife have lived in the 900 block of South Bryant Avenue for years. In fact, you may remember Escoe from an ongoing battle back in 2006 with the City of Sherman over ordinances including an over abundance of vehicles, animals and debris on the property.

"It's a bad deal, he has himself pretty much where all the fencing and stuff where they can't get to him and that’s what we've been afraid of for a long time, something like that would happen, this is what we're faced with now."

A space heater in the back bedroom caught fire, quickly spreading through the home, trapping Craig Escoe inside where crews later found him dead.

"First crews arrived on scene about five minutes later, found this single family dwelling, fully engulfed."

Escoe's wife, did make it out safely but suffered serious burns to her face.

"She was transported by Sherman to a local hospital where she is being treated. As I understand may be transferred to Parkland."

Sherman Fire Chief J.J. Jones says natural gases inside the home caused an explosion, making conditions unsafe for firefighters to enter, thus unable to save Escoe.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Anonymous Location: Sherman on Mar 20, 2008 at 07:02 PM
    I drive buy that house quiet often on the way to visit a friend. Although a life was lost its pretty sad. Everytime I would drive by I would stop and think how people could live like that. It was a disgrace to the whole neighbor hood. What is even more sad is that the city didn't fix it. They site warning to people that are not parked properly on their property and make you pay a fine if your grass gets to high. Its ridiculous that there was not something done about it. I pray for both of them and am not a cold hearted person but when is enough going to be enough. Now every body has to drive buy and see a half burnt down house and what was inside. Its gross and depressing at the same time.
  • by Anonymous on Mar 10, 2008 at 08:58 PM
    betty, read the story, he had a ongoing battle with the city........he has been against them for years....
  • by betty Location: sherman on Mar 10, 2008 at 11:45 AM
    How incredibly sad. Where was the city, did they not issue warnings about the trash before?
  • by KEVIN Location: DENISON on Mar 7, 2008 at 11:30 AM
    SO SAD
Sherman 4201 Texoma Pkwy (903) 892 -8123 Ardmore 2624 S. Commerce (580) 223-0946
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 16388256 - kxii.com/a?a=16388256
Gray Television, Inc.