Mercury-contaminated house may be demolished

By: Mystic Matthews Email
By: Mystic Matthews Email

COLBERT, Okla.- New details have emerged on a house in Colbert that is still contaminated with mercury. The house is no longer under surveillance, but is still dangerous.

Tony Winnett is the man who was using the mercury to extract gold. Winnet's funeral was Wednesday.

The Environmental Protection Agency has spent close to $50,000 testing and cleaning up the home. They've removed almost everything, except sheetrock and cabinets.

EPA officials say as long as the house stays ventilated, the mercury levels are fine. But as soon as they close up the house, the levels rise.

So the health department, along with the Department of Environmental Quality is now involved, as well as the District Attorney's office.

The DA will have to get the house turned over to the county before it can be demolished.

Neighbors in the area say they believe that's the best thing to do. “They need to get rid of it if they can't get it out of it. Haul it out of here. I got health problems as it is, breathing problems, I don't need mercury flying around."

And it's no coincidence that some are working on a mercury collection event in order to help people dispose of the dangerous element -- no questions asked.

We'll keep you updated as to when that is scheduled to happen.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by midniteryder Location: Sherman on Apr 3, 2008 at 06:54 PM
    The new CFL bulbs may use less wattage, but do contain a bit of mercury. Granted, it isn't completely full of the stuff, but it IS there. Brings up the question of how to get rid of burned-out CFL bulbs.....in this age of environmental hypersensitivity, it's an issue.
  • by "Overly Concerned?" Mom on Apr 3, 2008 at 12:52 PM
    Just HOW MUCH mercury was in the house? Buckets or teaspoons? How much mercury is in the new light bulbs that everyone is buying now?????? I would honestly like to know because I've heard differing stories on the new bulbs and was considering buying some. Not to be disrespectful to the gentleman who lost his life and his family. But this raises serious questions with me. Any answers??
  • by curious Location: OK on Apr 3, 2008 at 12:18 PM
    It was reported that he was using mercury to extract gold from old computer parts. He had been outside doing so but when it began to rain he moved it inside-
  • by Anonymous on Apr 3, 2008 at 07:09 AM
    How did the house get contaminated with mercury?
  • by curious Location: Ok on Apr 3, 2008 at 04:06 AM
    Yes, he died as a result of the mercury.
  • by KLM Location: Ok on Apr 2, 2008 at 11:03 PM
    Did he die as a result of the mercury?
Sherman 4201 Texoma Pkwy (903) 892 -8123 Ardmore 2624 S. Commerce (580) 223-0946
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 17249949 - kxii.com/a?a=17249949
Gray Television, Inc.