Mercury-contaminated home deemed unlivable in Colbert

By: KXII-TV Staff Email
By: KXII-TV Staff Email

COLBERT, Okla. -- After days of tests and analysis, a home in Colbert tainted by mercury is unlivable.

Bryan County Emergency Management says mercury levels inside that home are 22 times higher than safe levels. It is now up to the owner's family to decide what to do with the home.

One man died, and a woman was hospitalized after being coming into contact with the element.

Authorities say they were using mercury to extract gold from old computer parts.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Anonymous Location: Denison on Apr 4, 2008 at 08:12 AM
    ok,we know all about this. the house is coming down, the man is gone. it is time to let it go. the family needs peace!!
  • by Me & Bobby McGee Location: Nowhere on Apr 4, 2008 at 07:12 AM
    I don't think these folks were operation with a full deck of cards....if you know what I mean.
  • by Anonymous on Apr 3, 2008 at 05:26 PM
    Amazing how stupid being greedy can make you...
  • by Harry Henderson Location: You can't find me! on Apr 3, 2008 at 05:07 PM
    How much mercury is in this house? I mean did they spill a gallon of it? Or did they drop a drip on the floor. I remember as a kid I broke a thermometer and played with the mercury even when my mom told me not to, it was just too tempting and cool. Yes, I may be fried, but that was many years ago. So tell us what REALLY happened. Please??? Thank you!
Sherman 4201 Texoma Pkwy (903) 892 -8123 Ardmore 2624 S. Commerce (580) 223-0946
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 17276444 - kxii.com/a?a=17276444
Gray Television, Inc.