DENISON, Tex. - A fire destroys an apartment in Denison. Mystic Matthews spoke with residents who came home to find their apartment in flames.
Firefighters were called out just after seven o'clock Wednesday night to put out the flames. When they arrived, an apartment unit was fully involved.
But fire officials say police arrived first and got everyone inside the apartments out/ It took just under 30 minutes for fire fighters to put out the flames, but smoke was still pouring out of the building for some time.
It was a two-alarm fire, which means Denison and Sherman responded.
The family whose unit caught fire says when they finished cooking earlier they left. When they came back, the apartment was on fire. They say their stove was faulty and came on and off by itself. They believe that may have caused the fire.
"We've been here for a long time. It's just scary. We ain't got no place to go," says Christian Wilson, who lived in the apartment that was destroyed.
"With this mugginess, it doesn't take long for them [firefighters] to wear down. They did a great job of stopping this fire where it was at. But the price for that is exhaustion and fatigue," says Denison Asst. Fire Chief Bill Ray.
One person was taken to the hospital with minor injuries. But Ray credits the police officers for making sure there weren't any more injuries.
Two units were damaged and at least three more received smoke damage. Out of the 13 units on the second floor, seven were unoccupied.
The Red Cross has been called in to help those families who do not have a place to stay.