KENEFIC, OKLAHOMA -- We now know why a mother was unable to save her baby from their burning home in Kenefic yesterday.
The Oklahoma state fire marshal's office says the mom was trying to save her 18-month-old, but suffered smoke inhalation, causing her mass confusion.
Then, the baby's grandfather ran into the home, located east of Highway 22 and 48. He tried to save the child, but also fell victim to the smoke.
Both were taken to the hospital and treated for smoke inhalation.
Fire Marshal Operations Chief Sam Shafnitt says they're investigating the fire, but do not believe it was suspicious.
The medical examiner has not yet identified the baby.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.