SHERMAN, TX-An accidental kitchen fire caused thousands of dollars in damage to a Sherman home.
The fire happened on the 1600 block of Creekside Avenue Thursday afternoon.
Sherman fire marshal, Jamie Baggs, said a man left the stove on when he went outside. Minutes later, flames spread through the kitchen. Baggs said firefighters put out the flames within minutes. But the kitchen was a total loss, with smoke and water damage throughout the house.
The damage is estimated to be $40,000.
"People just need to be aware that when they have something on the stove. Try not to be preoccupied with other events," Baggs said.
He said the damage could've been worse if it wasn't for working smoke detectors in the home.
No one was hurt in that fire.
Updated: 05/23/13 - COOKE COUNTY, TX - The TCEQ is investigating what could be in the air after a massive Cooke County fire produced smoke that could be seen for miles. Read More
Updated: 05/22/13 - COOKE COUNTY, TX - A large black plume of smoke from a Cooke County fire could be seen all the way from Sherman Tuesday. Read More
Updated: 05/20/13 - BONHAM, TX-Fannin County Commissioners discussed how they can fix some water leaks at the courthouse Monday. Read More
Posted: 05/20/13 - BONHAM, TX- Bonham city officials decided to continue their negotiations on the fate of two collapsed buildings downtown. Read More