Video shows two Wilson police officers tasing man who later died

Published: Jul. 14, 2020 at 6:30 PM CDT
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

WILSON, Oklahoma (KXII) - Newly-released video shows the moment two Wilson police officers tased a man more than 50 times the night of July 4th last year. He died the next day.

Both officers were charged with murder this month.

Court documents state officers found Jared Lakey after someone called 911 saying he was running naked down the street and screaming.

The video starts with former acting Wilson Police Chief Joshua Taylor and Officer Brandon Dingman giving commands to Jared Lakey.

They tell him to get on the ground and put his hands behind his back.

He didn’t comply, but he didn’t fight either.

In the video, you hear an officer say, “He keeps attempting to fight with us. We’ve got three tasers deployed at this time.”

But prosecutors say the 28-year-old never fought the officers.

Neither officer tries to put him in handcuffs.

“Both of these officers decided to rely instead on serial and cumulative taser use,” said Lakey family attorney Spencer Bryan.

Bryan said the toxicology report after Lakey’s death was negative for all illegal drugs, but he did have high blood sugar which can cause disorientation and confusion.

“Rather than getting that type of help, the officers decided that they were going to escalate the use of force scenario, and unfortunately, that resulted in his death,” Bryan said.

Video shows an officer tell Lakey, “You’ll quit getting tased, just put your hands behind your back and we’ll put you in cuffs.”

Lakey continues to cry for help.

The company that makes the tasers warns offficers to not use them for more than 15 seconds.

In fact, the company has never tested taser use over 45 seconds.

Data logs reveal both officers tased him a total of 53 times totaling to almost four minutes.

In the video, you hear officers say they’ll have to go hands on.

A deputy then places him in a chokehold for more than 40 seconds, and Lakey is put in handcuffs.

They realize he stopped breathing.

Officers start CPR over three minutes later, until EMS arrives.

Lakey died at the hospital the next day.

Taylor and Dingman went on working for the next 12 months until they got arrested for second degree murder.

“It’s unconscionable that you would expose to this type of behavior knowing what you see in this video,” Bryan said.

Both officers have had their state law enforcement certification suspended.

The current Wilson Police Chief says they were on paid leave, but said he was informed by the town’s mayor Tuesday that they’re no longer employed by the city.

If convicted, both face 10 years to life in prison.

Copyright 2020 KXII. All rights reserved.

Latest News

Latest News