Advertisement

Sherman fire destroys house, family without home

A family is without a home Monday after a fire destroyed their house.
A family is without a home Monday after a fire destroyed their house.
Published: Nov. 30, 2020 at 11:18 PM CST|Updated: Dec. 1, 2020 at 2:05 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

SHERMAN, Texas (KXII) - A Sherman family is without a home Monday after a fire destroyed their house.

The fire started Monday evening at a home on U.S. Highway 56 near FM 1417.

Firefighters were able to get all three people who lived there out of the home and began putting out the flames from inside the home before the fire quickly became too large.

The fire spread to the main part of the home and then quickly spread to the second story.

The home is considered a total loss. The Red Cross is assisting the family, who did not have insurance.

Grayson County Fire Marshal John Weda said the fire started in the attic and was caused by an improperly installed wood-burning stove and flue that allowed combustibles in the attic to ignite.

Firefighters said the building used to be an old shooting club and it had been converted to a home years ago.

Copyright 2020 KXII. All rights reserved.