Advertisement

Sherman apartment fire leaves multiple families displaced and at least one dog dead

Published: Nov. 8, 2021 at 12:51 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

SHERMAN, Texas (KXII) - A fire at Archer Village apartments is leaving many families devastated Monday night.

“Everything I worked my entire life for and for my kids to have stability, and now it’s gone,” said Shelby Newton, who lost her home in the fire.

Around noon on Monday, Shelby Newton got a devastating call from her neighbor about her apartment going up in flames.

“I work two jobs,” said Newton. “I’m a single mother to two kids, and now we have the clothes on our back. I don’t even know what I’m going to brush my teeth with tonight. Just the thought of it is so overwhelming. I can’t even think of what’s going on right now.”

Sherman Fire-Rescue said it started in a second-floor apartment when someone was cooking, and the wind spread the flames fast.

“All eight apartments are probably going to be ruined,” said Sherman Assistant Fire Chief Chris Olson. “Anything that didn’t get fire damage is gonna be water damage, so the whole building, it’s gonna be a loss.”

Over the next hour, Sherman Fire worked to put out the flames while the people who live there returned home and watched across the street.

“When I first drove up, I saw smoke in the sky, and I was like ‘please let this not be my apartment,’ and I came down the road and it’s all eight of them are engulfed in flames, and it was really devastating seeing everybody running around hectic, screaming their heads off worrying about their pets cause their pets were still inside,” said Sadie Osborn-Parnell.

Residents said this came out of nowhere for them.

“I never imagined this would happen to me,” said Newton. “You hear it all the time, and it happens to everybody else, but you never expect it to be yourself, and then the one time you don’t get renters insurance, this is what happens, and you lose everything.”

Sherman fire added no people were injured; however, they said one or two dogs died in the fire.

Fire officials said they think this was 100 percent accidental.

Shelby Newton’s family has set up a GoFundMe account for her as well.

Copyright 2021 KXII. All rights reserved.