Advertisement

4-year-old Ravia girl dies from apparent electrocution

(KXII)
Published: Oct. 4, 2018 at 12:07 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

A young Ravia, Oklahoma girl was electrocuted Wednesday while trying to rescue a pet.

"They're like their own little sports team. Always got all the kids," said Brandi Miller, who has known 4-year-old Lily Minyard's family for 10 years.

She saw law enforcement outside of their house Wednesday morning.

"And I heard the prayer brought the baby back," Miller said.

A release from the Johnston County Sheriff's Office said Minyard went behind a dryer at the house to get a puppy that was stuck.

The report said she came in contact with a bare spot on the electrical wire leading to the dryer and was electrocuted.

"At first I didn't know what to think. I got cold chills and it was at least in the 70's, 80's today," Miller said.

The Sheriff's Office said her mother took her to the nearby Ravia Town Hall to get help.

Despite the efforts of first responders, she couldn't be revived.

Minyard was taken to Mercy Hospital in Tishomingo where they tried again, but the little girl didn't survive.

"That's going to be hard to not see that smile. That big beautiful smile and those big beautiful eyes of hers that lit up every time she would laugh," said Gina Philipps, who taught Minyard at Milburn Public School.

"It was kind of hard not to love her. She always wanted hugs," Philipps said.

She said Minyard loved coloring and having her nails painted.

Philipps said before going home, she'd tell the teachers she loved them and wave goodbye.

"So that was really hard not having her there to put her on the bus when we just did it yesterday," Philipps said.

The Sheriff's Office said Minyard's death is under investigation by the State Medical Examiner's Office, but all evidence points toward this being a tragic accident.