Ada house explodes, sends two to hospital

By  | 

ADA, Okla. (KXII) - "It was just loud, I was so scared I didn't know what was happening," Neighbor Caitlyn Nail said.

"His skin was all off his body," Neighbor Penny Davis said.

Davis says she rushed outside after hearing the explosion.

Davis says she rushed to help her 9-year-old neighbor who had been severely burned.

"We had to pour cold water over him and he was screaming,"She said.

Firefighters say the boy had burns all over his body.

A sight Davis says she'll never forget.

"The hair was singed, the skin was like this from his face," Davis said, "and it looked liked it just burned him, and peeled off of him."

Deputy Fire Chief Joe Allen says the boy used gasoline to start a small fire.
Allen says when the boy poured more gasoline on the fire, vapors from the gasoline exploded throughout the area.

"We had a flash fire that caused the explosion," He said.

Allen says an 11-year-old girl suffered minor injuries and was taken to a local hospital.

She's since been released.

Firefighters are now stressing the importance of teaching kids the difference between tools and toys.

"Keep your gasoline cans and things you don't want your kids playing with (especially when you've got younger kids around the house) keep them locked up in some place," Allen said.

Allen says one of the family's dogs disappeared and the other died in the fire.

As for the little boy..

"He needs all the prayers he can get," Davis said.