Officials warn not to leave children, pets in hot cars as Texoma sees triple-digit temperatures

ARDMORE, Okla. (KXII) - There were at least two incidents on Tuesday in Texoma where a child or pet were left in a hot car.

Jason Woydziak, training officer for the Ardmore Fire Department, said it has been more than a year since it has responded to a call of a child locked in a hot car.

"We do know from experience that it doesn't take very many minutes for a child to be left in the car without the air conditioners running or the windows down for them to start suffering from heat emergencies," Woydziak said.

On Tuesday, Paris police responded to a three-year-old child locked in an SUV in the Walmart parking lot for about 40 minutes.

A bystander was able to get the child out and cooled off in time.

Paris police said the child's grandparents were in the store with other grand kids and had split up in the store, each thinking the other had the three year old.

The second situation on Tuesday was a dog being trapped in a hot car at Texoma Medical Center in Denison.

The dog was able to get out of the car safely.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said 52 children died in hot cars in 2018, the most to die in one year in recent decades.

"In just 10 minutes, parked in the shade with the windows cracked open, the interior of the car reached 109 degrees," Heidi King with the NHTSA said. "That's hot enough to kill a young child."

The NHTSA said a child's temperature rises three to five times faster than an adult's and heat stroke can set in when their core body temperature reaches 104 degrees.

Ardmore fire suggests guardians should put something in the back seat such as a purse, wallet or cellphone, so they will not forget a child sitting back there.

"None of us can get around without our phones any more so you're going to get out of the car and "Oh! Where's my phone? Oh hey, there's Junior'," Woydziak said.

If you do find a child or an animal in a hot car, officials say you need to act quickly to get them out and call 9-1-1.