Saturday morning house fire sends Ardmore man to hospital

Published: Apr. 13, 2019 at 7:11 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

A house on Cottonwood Street in northwest Ardmore was the scene of a rainy day fire Saturday morning.

Firefighters said a fire started in the car and spread to the carport, then to the house.

Katelyn Marshall lives next door and said popping sounds and yelling woke her up.

She said she looked out her window to see a car and a man on fire.

"I saw a wife and kids just screaming in the back yard and so I got up as fast as I could and called the police," Marshall said. "I said 'You need to send somebody here right now. It's bad'."

Marshall said she was shaken up by what she saw and dispatchers tried to calm her down.

"My heart was just racing," she said. "I was like 'Oh, my god. Are they going to be okay?'."

Rhett Halew with Ardmore Fire Department said the man was in the car and about to drive away when it caught fire.

The man suffered burns to his arms and face, but officials do not believe his injuries are life threatening.

An ambulance took the man to Mercy hospital.

"There was children in the house at the time," Hale said. "The gentleman that was in the vehicle was burned. But the children were safe. He got them out fine."

Marshall said the three kids were between one and three years old.

She did not know the family but said they had been living in the rental house for only a few months.

The house is not a total loss and would be able to be repaired.

Fire officials said they believe the fire was accidental but it is under investigation.