Sherman, Tx Barley Mushroom Blend
4 cups vegetable broth
2 cups pearled barley
1/4 cup cream
1 pound mushrooms, chopped
2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
1 teaspoon of vegetable oil
1 1/2 cup cups onions chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3/4 cups white wine
1/4 cup kalamata olives, chopped
1 tablespoon thyme, minced
4 ounces mushrooms sliced
1 tablespoon of butter
1. Heat the vegetable broth to a hot simmer, just before boiling. Add barley, stir, and cover. After 10 minutes, stir again, and loosen any barley sticking to the bottom of the pan. After 15 additional minutes, stir again. and test to see if it's done. If needed, cook another 5-10 minutes to incorporate remaining liquid. Stir the cream into the barley, and remove from heat.
1A. Barley may be removed to a container and refrigerated at this point.
2. Melt the butter and oil over medium heat in a large pot. Saute the onions for about 3 minutes until they turn soft. Raise the heat slightly. Combine chopped mushrooms into the pan and stir until they release their liquid. Stir in the garlic and lower the heat.
3. Add the white wine, olives and fresh thyme. Strongly in the precooked barley, breaking up any lumps. (Add 1/2 cup of hot water if necessary .) Keep over very low heat while preparing mushroom topping.
4. In a separate pan, melt butter and saute sliced mushrooms until golden.
5. Fill a serving bowl with the barley mixture and garnish with the sauteed sliced mushrooms.
*Mushrooms can be a blend of any of these: baby Portabellas, Oyster, Enoki, Shitake, and Crimini